HANGZHOU JIANGWAN RIVERFRONT LANDSCAPE BELT CONCEPTUAL DESIGN
client HANGZHOU QIANJIANG NEW CITY INVESTMENT GROUP CO., LTD.
Hangzhou’s new Riverside Park, on the northern bend of the Qiantang River, will create a new destination.
Hangzhou has not only a tremendous history but it is also very much of the 21st century. Ki Studio’s plan responds not only to the river but to the modern, thriving, smart high tech city of today.
SPONGE CITY APPLICATION
The analysis to the left illustrates the initiatives and uses precedent imagery to illustrate the proposed strategies. Together these elements will create a showcase that successfully and creatively integrates blue and green infrastructure into this site. The scheme will be self sustainabel, There is sufficient water being captured on site for reuse in the landscape for water features, wetlands and water for toilet use and landscape irrigation.
Integrating sponge city strategies through the new park
The illustrated sponge city initiatives will respond to the following approaches and questions to be discussed in future design stages:
1. How best to get the water system back into our urban environment?
We will collaborate with government departments and private developers. The success of any sponge city strategy depends on close collaboration between all parties and an understanding that there is a need for long-term policies for ecological planning.
2. Understanding water’s processes
We have key research in sponge city water planning and water sensitive detailed design, and have expertise required to solve these challenging strategies for this site. We learn from nature and respect its processes. We explore the connections between water, spirituality & consciousness. We apply this knowledge to the design of water systems
ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY SEA WALLS
Opportunities to improve the environmental value of the seawall on this project include:•
- Using the existing areas of sedimentation as a guide, establish and link areas of new estuarine vegetation directly in front of the seawall
- Provide a native riparian vegetation buffer upstream of the seawall
- Provide artificial reef habitat , immediately in front of seawall using riprap
- Provide variation of texture and form on the seawall surface
- Maximise habitat diversity and complexity
- Create low-sloping seawalls or incorporating changes of slope
Multi functional detention area
The other key initiative integrated in our scheme is the sponge city strategies that are woven through in an integrated way through the park- for example, the multi functional detention bowl used for ball games, and wetland filter boardwalks used for environmental education/passive recreation.
The Spa and Sponge City
The inspiration is the element of water and the history of the ancient sea wall. Water walls, pools and water falls are key elements of this hub, using sound and touch as a key features.
Children’s WIld Paly – Interactive water features
- Client - HANGZHOU QIANJIANG NEW CITY INVESTMENT GROUP CO., LTD.
- Date Completed - 2018
- Expertise - MASTERPLAN, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE; ARCHITECTURE; URBAN DESIGN, CITY PLANNING; WATER SENSITIVE DESIGN - SUB-CONSULTANT: RSP ARCHITECTS, SHANGHAI